A lot of people have a lot of opinions about Easter. I have mine, you have yours. But one thing we can all agree on is Easter candy. So here are your fast Easter candy facts to have at the ready as you're sitting around with friends & family this weekend, gnawing the ears off some hapless chocolate bunny.
The bunny might be hopless too, since it's chocolate. Hahahaha!
Look at the ears on those chocolate bunnies. Just asking for it.
(Photo and chocolate bunnies from Lake Champlain Chocolates. Each year, they make a 3-pound chocolate bunny they affectionately call Mr. Goodtime Bunny.)
- After Halloween, Easter is the biggest candy holiday of the year. Bigger than Christmas.
- 120 million pounds of Easter candy are sold each year in the United States.
- The total amount of candy manufactured in anticipation of each Easter includes:
- 90 million chocolate bunnies
- 91.4 billion eggs of various sorts
- 700 million marshmallow Peeps
- 16 million jelly beans
- Children's favorite color of jelly bean: red.
There's one marshmallow Peep born every 6 seconds.
(Photo from Buzznet)
- Altogether, we Americans spend $14.7 billion with a B on Easter stuff. Not just candy, but decorations, clothes, Easter bonnets, etc. That's about $131 per household.
- $2.1 billion with a B of that is candy.
- 70% of the $2.1 billion is chocolate.
- 76% of chocolate bunny-eaters say they eat the ears first.
- According to Guinness world records, the largest chocolate Easter egg was over 34 feet tall and weighed 15,873 pounds. I'd hate to be around when that thing hatched.
- Cadbury starts making & selling their creme eggs on New Year's Day through Easter. So get 'em now before they vanish for the rest of the year.
What's the creme in those Cadbury eggs made of? Sugar & water. That's it.
(Photo from Buzznet)
(Photo from Healthline)
Do Something.org, 11 Facts About Easter
ABC15 Arizona, Easter candy: 9 facts that may surprise you
ABCNews, 90 Million Chocolate Bunnies and Other Fun Easter Facts
Chicago News Tween US, Hunting for Easter egg trivia? Find 11 fun facts here