Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Apple #128: Hello Hong Kong, part II

I think I figured out why I sometimes get hits from people in Hong Kong. There's a Hong Kong newspaper called Apple Daily. I think people are searching for that paper, and because search engines don't care about word order unless you put a phrase in quotes, my blog comes up on a list of hits, and some people check it out.


If I'm not mistaken, this is the Apple Daily's logo


I went to the Apple Daily's website, but since it was all in characters rather than Romanized script, I couldn't make out much of anything, except a front page photo of someone who was bleeding and had a sheet over him while uniformed people stood nearby.

Looking elsewhere, I learned that the Apple Daily is Hong Kong's second biggest selling newspaper. Some stories printed in other papers allege the Apple Daily has a pro-democracy, pro-Western stance, to the point of possibly losing some advertisers over its positions. According to folks on one chat room site, the Apple Daily is known for printing sensationalist stories. Others say that it is trying to shed that image in favor of more sober coverage, particularly of international news. It's hard to get an idea of what a newspaper is like, even if you can read it yourself, let alone based on what other people say about it.

Whatever the paper is like, I'm glad that people from so far away have stopped by. Hello, Hong Kong! (I'm waving.)

Sources
"Hong Kong: Sales of half-price Sun 'triple,'"
South China Morning Post, November 4, 2005
"Hong Kong: An Apple a day keeps developers away,"
South China Morning Post, April 22, 2004
Chatter Garden, Illustrations from the Apple Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're a spammer, there's no point posting a comment. It will automatically get filtered out or deleted. Comments from real people, however, are always very welcome!