Friday, December 3, 2004

The First Apple

So, every time I log on to the Internet, I check about 5 of the same pages. After I've made my usual rounds, every time, I find myself wishing for one more thing. I want the last page I look at to give me a little nugget of information. Unlike what the depressing and anxiety-ridden news pages give me, I want something nice to close out my visit to Internet-land. I looked around a couple times for something like this, but no luck. So I decided it was time to make my own.

Here's my plan. I want to post some little bit of knowledge I picked up during the day and record it here. I want myself and anyone who looks at this to be able to say, "Oh, hey. I didn't know that. I'm glad I do."

I thought it might be like an apple a day. Pleasant, good to have, and pocket-sized. In real life, I probably won't keep up with it every day, but you know, close to it.

So here's the first apple:

Recently, I picked up some information about CHOCOLATE:
  • The flavor we identify as chocolate is actually combination of about 500 aromas and flavors
  • Unsweetened chocolate liquor tastes, according to some, like a bitter goat, until cocoa butter and sugar are added
  • Some neuroscientists have found evidence that one of the substances in chocolate has similar effects on the brain as marijuana. This chemical in chocolate, however, is one that is also produced naturally in the brain
  • Eating chocolate has not been proven to cause cavities or tooth decay, nor does it cause acne
  • The word "cacao" comes from ancient Mayan culture. As early as 500 AD, Mayans were writing about cacao on their pottery. They used to drink it hot, sometimes flavored with vanilla, pimiento, and chili pepper. Sometimes they added wine, too.

Sources: http://www.exploratorium.edu/exploring/exploring_chocolate/choc_8.html

http://www.rps.psu.edu/0009/chocolate.html

That's it. I'll take up a new subject next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're a spammer, there's no point posting a comment. It will automatically get filtered out or deleted. Comments from real people, however, are always very welcome!